Origin of the Genetic Code is suprascientific
http://jrsm.rsmjournals.com.newproxy.rsm.ac.uk/cgi/eletters/103/2/43 Journal of Royal Society of Medicine March 15 2010
Response: The disappointments of the double helix: a master theory
Origin of the genetic code is suprascientific
The title of Dr James Le Fanu’s magnificent article suggests inadvertently that, with all the advances in genomic research, our inability to have “a mind capable of understanding the origins of the universe”  is to be blamed on the double helix when he could justifiably have pointed his finger at ourselves.
Discoverer of the ‘Double Helix’, Nobel Laureate Francis Crick, confessed his inability to explain “the origin of the genetic code” . I discovered the reason why from Professor Sir Peter Medawar FRS OM, another Nobel Laureate, who taught that questions like origins not only go “beyond the explanatory confidence of science” [3 (p. xiii)] but also that “science cannot answer these ultimate questions and no conceivable advance of science could empower it to do so” [3 (p. 59)].
It is beginning to dawn on some of the world’s brightest scientists that Medawar is quite right, and that DNA, with its genetic code, belongs to the lowest rung (statistics) of information-transmission whose other rungs, in ascending order, capable of sending a message and producing results are syntax, semantics, pragmatics, and apobetics . Useful messages do not arise anyhow. The first question I ask when I receive useful information is not “How was this information sent?” but “Who sent this?”
Until we begin to accept Medawar’s humbling limitation of the “explanatory confidence of science”  and admit that the origin of the universe and of DNA information programming in particular, is in the realm of the “suprascientific”  we shall continue (as we do at present) to be “whistling in the dark to keep our scientific courage up” .
Felix ID Konotey-Ahulu, Kwegyir Aggrey Distinguished Professor of Human Genetics, University of Cape Coast, Ghana and Consultant
Physician Genetic Counsellor, Sickle & Other Haemoglobinopathies 10 Harley St., London W1G 9PF
Competing interests: None declared
1 Le Fanu J. The disappointments of the double helix: a master theory. J R Soc Med 2010; 103: 43-45. DOI.101258/jrsm.2009.09k077 February 2010
2 Crick FHC. The origin of the genetic code. J Mol. Biology 1968: 38: 367-379.
3 Medawar P. The Limits of Science. Oxford. Oxford University Press, 1985 pp xiii & 59.
4 Gitt Werner. In the beginning was Information. Christliche Literatur-Verbretung e.V.
Postfach 110135.33661 Bielefeld, Germany, 2001.
5 Konotey-Ahulu FID. The suprascientific in clinical medicine – a challenge for
Professor Know-All http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1121901
Brit Med J. 2001; 323: 1452-1453
- UK Practice versus Ghana Practice: kascdispatma
- Evidence in a post-truth world: Scientists’ Misinformation & Disinformation
- Sickle Cell Trait: As with Statins, When Leading Editors Disagree Please Give Principles Same Weight As Details
- Dangerously flawed diagnosis of sickle cell trait in compartment syndrome rhabdomyolysis article
- PERSONAL VIEW – British Medical Journal, TAFRACHER! – An Invaluable Ghanaian word
- Lesson of the week – Dorothy S. Amanor-Boadu
- Meet the Professor talking about Sickle Cell disease patient live! – 4/08/2016
- BMJ Rapid Response Hip pain in Sickle Cell Disease 8 January 2016
- Duplication Negation Semantics (DNS)
- WORLD AIDS DAY – December 1, 2014
- Perthes’ Disease versus Sickle Cell Disease Hip
- SICKLE CELL AND ALLIED HAEMOGLOBINOPATHY: THE GENETICS THAT TOUCHES YOU AND ME
- History Versus Limits of Science: Is Solomonic Genius a Y Chromosome Phenomenon?
- Management of sickle cell disease patient in the community
- JFK Assassination, sermon by Dr Martyn Lloyd-Jones 24 Nov 1963 now online!
- Professor George Ebow Bonney, Ph.D. – Tribute by Professor Felix I D Konotey-Ahulu
- Most religious followers support assisted suicide for the dying: Survey flawed through inadequate definition of “religious” and “terminally ill”.
- Updated Publications now on Sicklecell.md
- World Sickle Cell Day 19th June 2012
- Further Communication on “Sickle Cell Trait Misinformation and Disinformation” and Sickle Cell Terminology: Disease or Disorder?
- Sickle Cell Trait Misinformation and Disinformation
- Blaming sudden death on Sickle Cell Trait?
- Only fruitcakes believe in GOD? Correction of inverted inheritance of solomonic genius
- Only fruitcakes believe in GOD?
- Facebook and Twitter in bid to create African Scientific Revolution “mizraimically”.
- BMJ Rapid Response 6 February 2011 Evangelical Christian on Drugs Advisory Body
- Music (and Tonal Language) and the art of being human – III
- Ethics of mitochondrial gene replacement is also ethics of acquired genetic inheritance
- Antenatal sickle cell disease haemoglobinopathy screening
- The politics (and economics) of pain relief in the West and Third World
- Third International Conference on the Achievements of Sickle Cell Disease Patients
- TONIC SOLFA IS THE FOUNDATION OF TONAL LINGUISTICS: University of Cape Coast 40th Congregation Occasional Lecture Series, Ghana 12 October 2009
- Origin of the Genetic Code is suprascientific
- Are patients with G6PD Deficiency to avoid eating prawns?
- Sickle Cell Disease Patients dying from Opiates: Why no co-operation among doctors?
- UK drug related deaths are still rising: So where is NICE?
- Publications and CV Updated
- WARNINGS FROM A QUARTER OF A CENTURY AGO
- Current "hit and miss" care provision for sickle cell disease patients in the UK
- NCEPOD REPORT Reveals Sickle Cell Disease Patients in UK Hospitals Dying from Overdose of Morphine and Heroin (Diamorphine)
- Using Aerobic Oxygen
- Patient-Achievers helping other patients with Advice
- G6PD Deficiency in Ghanaians: How to recognise it
- Ethnic minorities and sickle cell disease
- Home haemodialysis just the thing for Africa's wealthy patients
- Some thirty features of AIDS in Africa
- Stem Cells Cure Sickle Cell Anemia In Mice
- Opiates for pain in dying patients and in those with sickle cell disease
- There is nothing mysterious about kwashiorkor
- The perils of unmasking scientific truths
- March 2017
- December 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- January 2016
- April 2015
- December 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- July 2014
- April 2014
- November 2013
- September 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- June 2012
- April 2012
- November 2011
- September 2011
- May 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- November 2010
- October 2010
- August 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- March 2010
- September 2009
- August 2009
- March 2009
- August 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- October 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007